Classic Cougar Drive Trains: 1970
Cleveland 351 2V
Once again Cougar got itself a new standard engine--the 351C 2V. On paper, it looked nearly identical to the 1969 351 2V Windsor, but in reality, it was a completely new engine with a significantly different design.
For performance, '70 Cougars could be had with a 351C 4V, a Boss 302 or the big CJ 428. According to some sources the Mustang Boss 429 was also "officially" available, but the best records available indicate that only two '70 Cougars were so equipped.
(1) Boss 302
(2) Cleveland engine -- some Windsors were used when Clevelands were unavailable
(3) Standard on Eliminator
(4) CJ 428 4V with or without Ram Air
|Manual (Close Ratio)3||4-speed||6|
|Automatic (C-6)--Select Shift4||3-speed||U|
(1) 3-speed manual standard w/351 engines
(2) 4-speed manual optional w/all engines -- mandatory w/302
(2 & 4) Either 4-speed manual or Select-Shift mandatory w/428
(3) Close Ratio 4-speed manual available in Eliminators and spec. order
(5) FMX optional w/351engines
1970 Rear Axle Ratios: